top of page

Your Best Protection Yet!

Its that time of year again where the weather warms up and the sun beats down. Kids are off to camp and we are all exposed to more sunshine. With melanoma rates on the rise and so many different products on the shelf, it begs the question, what is the best way to protect our skin? Check out these sun safety tips to get the low down on how to protect yourself and the kiddies:

  • Wear Clothes - Clothes can provide a lot of protection and can reduce the chance of burn by approximately 30%

  • Find Shade or Bring it - if you are packing up for the day, don't forget the umbrella! or find a spot in the shade.

  • Play Early and Late - Avoid sun exposure in the peak hours of the day (10am -3pm).

  • Avoid Burning - This may sound obvious, yet we have all had a sunburn. If spending the day in the sun, remember to reapply sunscreen often

  • Check ahead - Be aware of the UV index before heading out for the day

  • Wear Sunglasses - Your eyes are important and they need protection too

In previous articles I have mentioned the endless benefits of antioxidants, both for internal and external health. For the purposes of this topic, I want to highlight the fact that antioxidants in the form of a vitamin C serum should really be a part of your sun protection regime. It is important to note that even the best broad-spectrum sunscreen only blocks 55% of damaging free radicals created by UV exposure, and therefore is not enough to protect your skin. By adding an antioxidant serum to the mix, it helps to neutralize the remaining 45% of that damage, leaving your skin healthier and more youthful with more potential for collagen synthesis.

As most of us know, melanoma rates are on the rise. In fact it is one of the fastest growing cancers, worldwide. It is one of the few cancers to affect young adults, and is the second most common cancer among 15-34 year olds. 90% of it is from exposure to UV light and sunlight, including tanning beds. Melanoma is most common on the backs of men and on the legs of women, although it can appear anywhere on the skin ( However, 99% of skin cancer patients survive with early detection. In addition to self- assessment, annual professional skin checks are essential to your skin health. During your screening your doctor will evaluate your skin, make notes to follow suspicious lesions, or evaluate/ biopsy suspicious moles. Annual skin checks are typically sufficient, but those with a history of skin cancer may benefit from more frequent check-ins.

Lastly, the majority of people know that sunscreen protects the skin against some of the damaging UV rays. However, have you ever questioned the safety of your sunscreen? Follow this link to check out the best scoring sunscreens for kids, and remember, if its good for them, likely its good for you.

Always remember, if you have any questions regarding the health of your skin, or any other matter, don't hesitate to pop in.

For the best sunscreens for children, CLICK HERE.

bottom of page